Sunday, October 26, 2008

10/21/08


One week after setting up my aquarium I did my first observation. I noticed several different organisms in my aquarium. I identified a Rotifer that was continuously moving up and back down a lot. The Rotifer looked like it was eating stuff. It was moving around a lot and was continuously sifting. Next i identified a Turbellaria, possibly a Stenostomum tenuicanda, that was crawling around like a snake. This was the largest of the organisms that i have seen in my aquarium. It did not have any segments in its frame and consisted of one continuous protoplasmic body. On the sides of its head were two white looking eye-sockets. I then discovered a Midge that had a long, slender body. The Midge had a small, rotating head attached to its frame. I also found diatoms in my aquarium that had truncated ends. These diatoms looked like skinny, yellow sticks. I used the Fresh-water Biology book as a reference when identifying these various organisms. In my tank I used sample # 9. This sample was from the pond at Sterchi Hills Greenway Trail. I added a couple of plants into my tank as well. Two of the plants were Amblystegium varium (Hedw.) Lindb. Moss and Amblystegium varium (Hedw.) Lindb. Moss (Class Blog).

No comments: